Total time: 2 hours, 10 minutes plus 1 hour soaking time
Note: From Christian de la Vara
Our recipes, your kitchen: If you try any of the L.A. Times Test Kitchen recipes from this week's Food section, please share it with us: Click here to upload pictures of the finished dish.
Crème anglaise 1/2 vanilla bean
2 cups whipping cream
7 egg yolks
2 tablespoons sugar
1. Halve the vanilla bean and scrape into the cream. Steep for 15 minutes, then heat the cream just until it begins to simmer.
2. Combine the egg yolks and sugar and whisk until smooth. Add a little of the hot cream to the yolk mixture, then add the yolk mixture to the pan of cream. Stir constantly over medium-low heat until thickened; do not let the mixture boil.
3. Press through a very fine-mesh sieve to strain. Cool.
Belgian chocolate sauce
5 ounces Belgian dark chocolate
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
1. Melt the chocolate and butter together in a double boiler or in a pan over another pan of simmering water.
2. Heat the cream until just simmering, then add to the chocolate and whisk until smooth. Serve warm.